Thursday, April 16, 2009

Watching Out For Our Pride

1 Sam 18:6-9
6 When the men were returning home after David had killed the Philistine, the women came out from all the towns of Israel to meet King Saul with singing and dancing, with joyful songs and with tambourines and lutes. 7 As they danced, they sang:
"Saul has slain his thousands,
and David his tens of thousands."

8 Saul was very angry; this refrain galled him. "They have credited David with tens of thousands," he thought, "but me with only thousands. What more can he get but the kingdom?" 9 And from that time on Saul kept a jealous eye on David.


Saul was very prideful here. All the people were cheering more for David than for him. Saul got angry at this.

Pride is something that is a big stumbling block for people. The devil first fell because of his pride. We are also vulnerable to this. I need to watch my pride in all that I do and say, because it can cause me to sin.

Father, I pray that I humble myself to You. I ask that you make me less, and have more of You. I know that I can get prideful in myself, but I pray against that in Jesus name. I ask that I may give You all the glory, and that You be the focus of my attention. I want to praise You and You alone.
Amen.

No comments: