Saturday, April 25, 2009

Not Letting Greed Get The Best Of Me

1 Sam 30:18-25
18 David recovered everything the Amalekites had taken, including his two wives. 19 Nothing was missing: young or old, boy or girl, plunder or anything else they had taken. David brought everything back. 20 He took all the flocks and herds, and his men drove them ahead of the other livestock, saying, "This is David's plunder."

21 Then David came to the two hundred men who had been too exhausted to follow him and who were left behind at the Besor Ravine. They came out to meet David and the people with him. As David and his men approached, he greeted them. 22 But all the evil men and troublemakers among David's followers said, "Because they did not go out with us, we will not share with them the plunder we recovered. However, each man may take his wife and children and go."

23 David replied, "No, my brothers, you must not do that with what the LORD has given us. He has protected us and handed over to us the forces that came against us. 24 Who will listen to what you say? The share of the man who stayed with the supplies is to be the same as that of him who went down to the battle. All will share alike." 25 David made this a statute and ordinance for Israel from that day to this.


David and his men had their things taken, but while pursuing the Amalekites, some men got tired, so they stayed behind. Now after defeating the Amalekites and returning to the men, some of them asked not to share because the tired men didn't help. God gave David wisdom in how to handle this, saying that they should take their share as well.

Sometimes, greed take us like these men. It may be that some people didn't help out as much as I did, and that I feel they might not deserve as much, but God may think otherwise. I need to stop thinking with a greedy heart, but with a servant's heart and a heart after God's own heart.

Father God, I pray that I may not be greedy, that I may not want, that I may not desire more, that I may not feel that others deserve less, but I pray for a heart after your own heart. I ask that you change me from the inside out. Greed is such a hard thing to work on, but I pray for Your strength to do so. I thank you and ask this in the name of Jesus Christ.
Amen.

No comments: