Saturday, June 07, 2008

Vows and Promises

Ecc 5:4-7
4 When you make a vow to God, do not delay in fulfilling it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow. 5 It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it. 6 Do not let your mouth lead you into sin. And do not protest to the temple messenger, "My vow was a mistake." Why should God be angry at what you say and destroy the work of your hands? 7 Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore stand in awe of God.


This is exactly the discussion I was having with Dustin the other night. It is better if you not make a promise than say you're going to do something and not do it. It says it here in the book of Ecclesiastes. This is so that we are able to work together as one unity in the Body of Christ.

I need to also watch myself when I make vows to others. I must also work on not making so many vows that I may stretch myself to thin among ministry. I must put my heart into the things that I do and do it for the Lord.

Father, I thank you for your wisdom. I know that you are the Lord and that you have so many things for us to do that will glorify your name, but Lord, I pray that I may not make promises I can not keep. Guide me in this way so that I may not cause any to stumble. Let your Holy Spirit guide me and show me how to do these things. I thank you and praise you in Jesus name.
Amen.

No comments: