Monday, January 14, 2008

T5+: Finding Treasure

People dream of finding lost treasure: back in a cave, up in an attic, perhaps even in a garage sale. The television series Antiques Roadshow capitalizes on such dreaming, as people show up with something that's been around the house since Grandfather died. One couple discovered that an Indian blanket once used by a grandmother and an aunt was worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Apparently no one suspected the blanket was worth more than a few dollars.

A well-known story of an undervalued item is found in the Genesis account of Jacob and Esau.
Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left. So Esau despised his birthright (Genesis 25:34)

Unlike his brother, Jacob had an eye for assets. The birthright meant a larger inheritance, leadership in worship and family matters, and the covenant blessing that God had promised to Abraham and Isaac (we should be reading "Abraham, Isaac, and Esau..."). Jacob's descendants would inherit the Promised Land, and through them the Messiah, Jesus, would be born.

If we believe in Jesus and accept His forgiveness, we are adopted into His family. And we gain an inheritance in God far greater than any earthly treasure.

I can show God how much I value Him by putting His words and His commandments first. To be faithful and follow His commandment. If I disobey God, then that means that I don't put my trust in Him, but If I trust in Him, then I will do what His will is.

Father, I know that you are great among all the Earth. Lord, we give you all of the praises. You are more than any treasure found on the earth. Father, I pray that your greatness be known to all, that all may find salvation in You. Father, I thank you for your grace and your mercy, that is the good news. I thank you and give you all the glory in Jesus name.
Amen.

No comments: