Sunday, April 15, 2007

Lord Over The Sabbath

Luke 13:10-16

10He was teaching in one of the meeting places on the Sabbath. 11There was a woman present, so twisted and bent over with arthritis that she couldn't even look up. She had been afflicted with this for eighteen years. 12When Jesus saw her, he called her over. "Woman, you're free!" 13He laid hands on her and suddenly she was standing straight and tall, giving glory to God.

14The meeting-place president, furious because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, said to the congregation, "Six days have been defined as work days. Come on one of the six if you want to be healed, but not on the seventh, the Sabbath."

15But Jesus shot back, "You frauds! Each Sabbath every one of you regularly unties your cow or donkey from its stall, leads it out for water, and thinks nothing of it. 16So why isn't it all right for me to untie this daughter of Abraham and lead her from the stall where Satan has had her tied these eighteen years?"


Jesus is healing a lady on the sabbath, but the spiritual leaders there don't like that. Jesus explains the sabbath for us here. Jesus is saying to us that these rules that the sabbath holds on us is not to restrict us, but to give glory to God. God wants us to rest, but resting does not mean doing nothing. Resting on the sabbath does not mean that you have to stay home and do absolutely nothing. God wants us to do things, just not to overload on work, because there are more important matters to adhere to.

I know that God wants me to be a holy man under Him. God had created the sabbath for me, so that I might not work every day of the week. Doing God's work does not count because "working" is to support your earthly life, doing God's work is Jesus' command for us, and if He permits to lead someone to the Lord on the Sabbath, then it is God's power, power over the sabbath.

Father God, I thank you for your power, and I thank you for your Son, your Holy Son. Lord, I know that you want the best for us. You don't want us to work every single day of the week, you want us to not worry about these things because you will handle it. You want us to worry more about the Kingdom that is to come. Lord, let me be a worker for your kingdom. Lord, I pray that you change me into a man that will do your will. Holy Spirit guide me to live a life for you, Lord. I thank you for this word and I pray this in Jesus name.
Amen.

No comments: