Tuesday, April 24, 2007

God Over gods

1 Sam 5:1-5

1Once the Philistines had seized the Chest of God, they took it from Ebenezer to Ashdod, 2brought it into the shrine of Dagon, and placed it alongside the idol of Dagon.

3Next morning when the citizens of Ashdod got up, they were shocked to find Dagon toppled from his place, flat on his face before the Chest of GOD. They picked him up and put him back where he belonged. 4First thing the next morning they found him again, toppled and flat on his face before the Chest of GOD. Dagon's head and arms were broken off, strewn across the entrance. Only his torso was in one piece. 5(That's why even today, the priests of Dagon and visitors to the Dagon shrine in Ashdod avoid stepping on the threshold.)


God's glory is shown in this story. No other gods can come before the Lord, because God is holy. This other god is destroyed when put in front of God. Other gods and idols can't stand to be in the holy presence of God.

God's presence is holy. We need to clean ourselves and be holy when in his presence. God wants us to know that He is the one and only God. His holy presence can not stand other idols in our lives. He will destroy these idols because he can't share your life, he wants all of it. He is holy, and he can't have another idol in your life.

Father God, you are most holy and awesome. Your glory is shown everywhere. Lord, I thank you for you are the Only God there is. I thank you for your grace and mercy to me Lord. I pray that you clean my heart to be holy before you. I want to make you and only you the God of my life. Let there not be any other gods in my life. I thank you for your Spirit that I may serve you Lord. Let this rhema be with me and give me strength to live for you. In Jesus Name.
Amen.

No comments: