Friday, November 17, 2006

Such A Compassionate God

57At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, 58dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul.

59While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." 60Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep. Acts 7:57-60

At the end of this passage, Stephen honors God by not being angry with the people that are killing him. If it was any other person, one without the filling of the Holy Spirit, then he/she would probably not do God's will. He gives God honor by not hating the person, but the sin. And even then, he is forgiving to them. Therefore, God is compassionate to him by giving him a peaceful way to heaven.

I want to have more of a heart like God. I want to have compassion for others, compassion for my enemies, compassion even though people are against me. Having the Holy Spirit guide me through these times when I don't think straight, when I get my emotions running and that could lead to sin. I want the Holy Spirit to keep me compassionate, in line with God.

Father, thank you so much for having compassion for us. Without your compassion we wouldn't have eternal life with you. Without your compassion, we would live a life of sin. I want to thank you for having compassion on us and let me be filled with your Holy Spirit so that I may show compassion with others. Thank you for everything and let me remember your word through this week.
Amen.

No comments: