Saturday, January 17, 2009

Though I Am Not Favored, Give Me A Humble Heart

Gen 42:35-38
35 As they were emptying their sacks, there in each man's sack was his pouch of silver! When they and their father saw the money pouches, they were frightened. 36 Their father Jacob said to them, "You have deprived me of my children. Joseph is no more and Simeon is no more, and now you want to take Benjamin. Everything is against me!"

37 Then Reuben said to his father, "You may put both of my sons to death if I do not bring him back to you. Entrust him to my care, and I will bring him back."

38 But Jacob said, "My son will not go down there with you; his brother is dead and he is the only one left. If harm comes to him on the journey you are taking, you will bring my gray head down to the grave in sorrow."


When I read this passage, I would like to take the view of the things going on from the point of Reuben and the other brothers. Imagine how it would feel to have your father favor your brothers. Unlike earlier, where the brothers tried to kill Joseph, here Reuben want to help his father, though he is not favored.

There will be times in life that it will not be all about me. There will be times when people may not like me, even if they are even my best friends. But, it may not be about me, but about serving others. It may not be about me, but about serving God.

Father Lord, I pray that you give me a humble heart like that of Reuben. Here in this passage, though I may not be favored, I pray that you allow me to be a servant when you want me to. I pray for your Spirit to guide me in what you want from my life, and that starts with a humble heart. I thank you, Lord, and I pray this in Jesus name.
Amen.

No comments: