Thursday, October 09, 2008

Draw Strength From The Lord Overcoming Life's Weary

Luke 22:39-46
39Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation." 41He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." 43An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

45When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 46"Why are you sleeping?" he asked them. "Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation."


This is such a great scene to remember, where the disciples are praying and Jesus goes to be alone with the Father to pray also. Jesus knows the temptation that is to come, and encourages His disciples to keep themselves in prayer, yet, they fall asleep in exhaustion from sorrow.

Sometimes things can be so overwhelming. The disciples were told by Jesus Himself to keep in prayer, yet as humans, overwhelmed by everything, we can fall in our own strength. We need the strength of God, in Him who sustains us. We need Him to lift us up out of our weary, giving life to us.

Father God, give me life, give me strength, give me your Spirit to overcome all that has been coming against me. Lord, I seek you for strength to overcome. Life can be overwhelming, yet you are my strength to continue to live in according to your will. I pray for your strength and not my own. Let me not "fall asleep" but to keep in prayer with You. I thank you for your word of encouragement and I pray this all in the mighty name of Christ Jesus.
Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring, very timely. Your blog entry helped me tonight.

Stay strong in the faith.