Tuesday, July 29, 2008

More Than Just Going Through The Motions

Isaiah 58:3-5
3 'Why have we fasted,' they say,
'and you have not seen it?
Why have we humbled ourselves,
and you have not noticed?'
"Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please
and exploit all your workers.

4 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife,
and in striking each other with wicked fists.
You cannot fast as you do today
and expect your voice to be heard on high.

5 Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
only a day for a man to humble himself?
Is it only for bowing one's head like a reed
and for lying on sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what you call a fast,
a day acceptable to the LORD ?


We are not perfect by any means. There are so many things that God needs to work in our lives. When I serve the Lord, I need to have my heart into it as well. This passage about fasting reminds me of having the heart of God and follow it.

I can't just go through the motions of serving the Lord, but I need to have my heart in it as well. You can easily start doing things without God leading you, and that is what I want to stay away from. I want God's presence in everything that I do and everywhere that I go.

Father God, I thank you for your Spirit guiding me in my ways. I pray for your Spirit to continue to lift me up and be present in all that I do for you. Lord, let my heart be in that which I do, that I not lose my love in serving you. I pray for your anointing to be in my ministry. I thank you for blessing it, and continue to have your hand upon it. I pray all these in Jesus name.
Amen.

No comments: