Friday, December 22, 2006

The Right Teachers

41Then Jesus said to them, "How is it that they say the Christ[b]is the Son of David? 42David himself declares in the Book of Psalms:
" 'The Lord said to my Lord:
"Sit at my right hand
43until I make your enemies
a footstool for your feet." '[c] 44David calls him 'Lord.' How then can he be his son?"

45While all the people were listening, Jesus said to his disciples, 46"Beware of the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and love to be greeted in the marketplaces and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. 47They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely." Luke 20:41-47

I was very confused after reading this passage. It all of a sudden stopped and Jesus went on to tell them something else. After a while, I think I figured it out. I think he said this first part about King David to show that he is both THE Lord as well as a desendant to King David. He said this very slyly. Then after saying that, he told them about the Pharasies. He got them to listen to them closely. He gave them a sign of his authority to speak.

Life is full of teachers. They all have authority and I need to give them that authority so that I may learn more for myself. If I am always fighting what they say, then I will learn nothing. I need to be open to the right authority so that I may grow in knowledge as well as spiritually.

Lord, I pray that you give me the right teachers to guide me. I also pray that I may be open to them to learn more. I thank you for being with me and guiding me. Thank you for you hand upon me and letting me grow more closer to you. Help me these next few days as it comes closer to Christmas and let me celebrate your son Jesus coming to earth. I ask that you guide me as I help with the Christmas skit that it may be pleasing to you. Thank you and in your name.
Amen.

No comments: