Thursday, December 14, 2006

Current Times Are A Blessing

16 Now the five kings had fled and hidden in the cave at Makkedah. 17 When Joshua was told that the five kings had been found hiding in the cave at Makkedah, 18 he said, "Roll large rocks up to the mouth of the cave, and post some men there to guard it. 19 But don't stop! Pursue your enemies, attack them from the rear and don't let them reach their cities, for the LORD your God has given them into your hand."

20 So Joshua and the Israelites destroyed them completely—almost to a man—but the few who were left reached their fortified cities. 21 The whole army then returned safely to Joshua in the camp at Makkedah, and no one uttered a word against the Israelites. Joshua 10:16-21

When I read this passage, I think of how Joshua and his men acted. I thought that people of God were kind-hearted and caring, but when reading this, I find that he is ruthless and dispickable. I have to remember that this is "Old-Testament" days where, even in this situation of war, things were not pretty. Back in those days, killing and ruthlessness was normal. In our society now, everything is so much more calm. Things are thought out, because if not, then all out war can happen and it could be the end of the world.

I have to remeber to give God all the glory for having blessed me to live in these times. Although the world is not perfect, it was much more cruel during the times of Joshua. Acts of these kinds are common and part of the cultural experience. That is how God established himself then, but now He is an all-loving and compassionate God. That I have to be thankful for.

Lord, I know that you have a temper when times persist, but I also know that you are a Loving God. You care for me and are there when I need you. I thank you for all the blessings you have provided for me. I thank you for letting me live in a time where you are compassionate. I thank you for letting me live in a time of fiber optics. Lord, I give you all the honor and praise.
Amen.

No comments: