Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Given Title Is Meaningless Without Relationship

Gen 37:3-4
3 Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made a richly ornamented robe for him. 4 When his brothers saw that their father loved him more than any of them, they hated him and could not speak a kind word to him.


Now, in this custom, a robe signified power and authority in the family clan. This robe represented a position of honor and esteem, one that held him in favor from Israel. But, what I learned from this passage is that a robe, or a title of a sort, does not automatically present you with favor with his brothers, or in other terms, does not automatically gain the respect of others.

A title means nothing, but is just a title. When it comes to ministry, a title is meaningless, but it is the relationship built, and the actions that are taken that present depth behind the title. As a leader, I must establish that depth, with or without a title.

Father God, I pray for your anointing. I pray that you do a miracle in my life by allowing me to be used by you. Purify my heart to be holy. Forgive me of my sins that I may know You. I pray that you give me favor in your eyes. Allow me to speak into the lives of those around me, and I pray earnestly to build and disciple others that may also seek a heart after your own. I thank you for this and I give you all the honor and glory in Jesus name.
Amen.

No comments: